Tuesday, November 19, 2019

For Bette



About two years ago, I started regularly reaching out to people to let them know how I felt about them. This is how it started. One at a time for every day for a week, then randomly. It’s been since April and that WAY TOO LONG.

When the email came this morning, letting me know the health diagnosis, I simultaneously caught my breath in panic and in gratitude. Because I don’t have to wait for the email telling me another long time friend has passed away to make me conjure up fond memories.

I can tell you right now, because every one of your minutes should be filled with nothing but love and light coming your way. I have known you since I was in the 2nd grade. I was probably 8 or 9 when you were divorced and moved away with my best friend and the others. It was the first time I had a long distance friend.

That relationship with you that I had at such an impressionable age was life-changing. You were the first “cool mom” i ever knew and I learned a lot about “being” from you.

Your daughter was the first person I ever knew with hearing loss. The impact of that on me is beyond comprehension, as I have worked with the Deaf community for years and now also suffer hearing loss as an adult.

Your parents were the most generous strangers I ever was blessed to visit.

Your tenacity and strength was (and remains) inspiring.

Words are not enough, but thank you. I wish you peace and good health.


No comments: