Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Ken Is Home

In one piece (with two extras.)  That and pills, pills pills. Pills for the morning and night to make his heart, back and tummy happy. Apparently, he has just committed himself to a lifetime relationship with his cardiologist AND the pharmacist!



We are both still in a little state of shock that this even happened to him, relieved that it wasn't worse, and grateful for all the support and good wishes he received from our community.  People he hasn't heard from in YEARS wished him a quick recovery.  

Zoe, Caleb and I also have appreciated our friends who have reached out to us, offering words of care and concern.

Ken is learning to ask for help for things that seem simple, but are beyond the limits set by his doctor. I've only had to scold him once. So far. It was not pretty.

I also know I'll probably be having some kind of mass purge of the foods he and I may never eat (or drink) again.

And so, as our happy couple fades back into obscurity, please know that your words of support have meant the world to Ken, and all of us.  We don't know how to thank you.

Offers to help with food and whatever as Ken recovers at home have been pouring in.  I can't express to you how this feels, to know how you love Ken as much as I do.  I don't know what he, or we, will need in the days and weeks to come.  If I can think of something, I will let you know.

Oh, I know one thing we both need.  Sleep!  (smile)

There is ONE big thing you can do for us.  Be well.  Pay attention to your body. Not all heart attacks are the same. Not all of them are painful chest clutching, elephant weight pressure, and/or keeling over events.

Don't ignore the atypical signs of a heart attack.  They are simple:
Discomfort or pain in other areas, such as one or both arms, the neck, jaw, back, or stomach
Shortness of breath, lightheadedness, nausea, or sweating
Abdominal discomfort that may feel like heartburn

Oh, and BTW, we love you!!

No comments: