Tuesday, October 14, 2014

My Double Reed/Double Stent Husband

Things happen in threes.  Celebrity deaths.  Home appliance fail.  Three days in a hospital.

Last night, night #2, Ken was weird.  He was completely out of it because of all the meds they had given him during the day.  You know what they say, the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

This morning he was back to his "normal" self, he whipped out his IPAD before 7am, ate a heart healthy breakfast (Ok, that's NOT normal) and checked Facebook and email.  He though he might be going home today.  He's not, but it's nice to hear he feels ready and isn't afraid to get out of here.

If all goes well, (and why shouldn't it?) I'm banking on him sleeping in his own bed tomorrow night.

The beauty of spending the best part of the past three days in the hospital with Ken include:

1. Learning that when things beep in the room I don't need to freak out.  It's usually because his arm or head or other body part is in the wrong position, and the computer can't get a good read.
2. It's pretty easy to avoid junk food here.  I have not seen one burger or piece of chocolate or any oversized pastry.
3. If you stay in the hospital long enough and behave they move you to the penthouse in Chez Josef.  He's got a fabulous private room on the 4th floor, and no longer has to toilet in public.
4. Ken is a lightweight when it comes to drug tolerance.  OK, I know I should be more sensitive, but the conversation we had last night would rival ANY post-wisdom teeth extraction video that has EVER been posted on YouTube.  No, I did not record any of it.  I own it in my head, and I never want to see him that out of it again.

I'm sort of blown away by Ken's success in the “bromance” department.  Maybe it's the oh-my-God-I'm-almost-the-same-age-and-mortal-too response.  His boy/men-friends are crawling out of the woodwork, and I personally can't be more touched by your concern, calls, email and FB comments and chicken soup.

His response to some smart comment about his future eating habits.

“I see gluten free toasted latkes in my future.”

If it will keep him around a bit longer, I'll do it.   I'll even bake the latkes.

10 comments:

Barry Ulman said...

I hope Ken enjoyed his heart-healthy breakfast. It can be a very trying move to alter your diet; suddenly you start reading labels on cans and packages, checking fat and cholesterol content. I have altered my diet somewhat, but certainly not completely. It's not easy.

Ken can still have omelets if he's willing to use egg substitute instead of whole eggs. And there's fat-free sour cream. Etc., etc.

Hopefully we'll be hearing his oboe and English horn again soon. Get well, Ken!

two-hill said...

Looking great, Ken! You sure chose a good place for your heart attack.

I hope you'll soon be out strolling hand in hand with your lovely wife again, pausing for an occasional smooch -- like last Saturday ; - )

We had a window table at the Temple Bar.

Joel and Julia said...

Thanks for your continued update!

Cynthia said...

You look great, Ken! That's even an attractive pattern on your "gown" -- Chez Joseph penthouse rooms are clearly a step up from the usual hospital rooms. It's great that Marla could stay with you , but I'm sure you'll both be glad to be at home again.

--Cynthia

Dan Pike said...

Glad you'll b sprung soon, Ken. I'm a little jealous--looks like they found a new gown for you. I was not so fortunate...It's great to see you smiling.

Anonymous said...

Really great to have your light take on what surely has been a trying three days, Marla. All our best to Ken (and you!)

BarbaraG. said...

When I first saw the photo, I observed the coy, charming facial expression - must be because he was looking at you, Marla; and I thought he was holding a furry little stuffed animal - oh - ok - a bowl of….. something.
Treatment for heart attacks sure has changed. I'm glad you live in this generation and now an earlier one where stents were unknown.
We love you. We're happy to see that coy, charming smile. XOXO

Deb Slater said...

I want to have a Ken bromance!! Much love to all of you.

John D'Onofrio said...

Well, here’s an interesting factoid: Ken and I are long overdue for what used to be a fairly regular series of lunch dates. We’ve dined at The Table, various Mexican places, Oriento (long shuttered), etc. etc. Well, it just so happens that it is his turn to buy. I was anticipating a bowl overflowing with steaming pasta or perhaps some choice chili rellanos. Maybe even a pizza covered with roasted garlic and Gorgonzola. Based on what I’m hearing, I am girding myself for lunch at a Juice Bar or some such horror. But, truth be told, I’ll be ready and waiting! Don’t quote me on this, but I’ll even buy…

qp423 said...

Wow, Ken, you look great! I'd never know you had a problem if it weren't for that snazzy gown you're modeling ;)
Really glad you're home now, keep getting healthier and rest up.
Love to the misses :) xoxo