Saturday, March 11, 2006

My CD mix

A few weeks back, I was challenged to make a CD of songs that fit into 25 topic/categories. My greater challenge was fitting 25 songs onto one CD..which I could not do so I only had 19 different songs. Sorry. I'm a technoloser. Here is my list. If you haven't been challenged yet, take this on.

1. A favorite political track. "Daughters of Feminists" My friend Marie sang this at a BBQ years ago, while Zoe was still into Barbies (Much to my chagrin) I had to travel all the way to Canada to buy it.

2. One of those tracks that will make you tap your feet no matter what. 'All I wanna Do' OK, so it makes me drive fast and wish I had a convertible in LA too, but I still really like it.

3. The song you'd use to tell someone you love them. "Fallin" I can't remember the first time I heard this song, maybe on TV years ago, but it made me order it on line..I never do that.

4. A song from a Broadway musical or a film soundtrack.* 'In My Life' I could listen to this song all day long. It makes me happy, it makes me sad. I love Bette. For all those reasons.

5. A song that forced you to sit down and analyze its lyrics. (See #1) I had to make sure I agreed with every word..

6. A song you like that a 5-year-old would like too. 'Dream a little dream of me' Well, since I sang it to my kids until they were, ahem, a bit older than 5, I'm pretty sure.

7. A song that makes you drive too fast. 'Edge of Seventeen' Stevie Nicks kicks ass.

8. A kick-ass cover song. 'Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing' Not really different from the original, but I liked it anyway.

9. A song that both you and your grandparents (would probably) like. See # 22 This track is on later, but it's because it's a great song, with a funny story, and it's in their native language.

10. A song you really liked when you were 14-16 that you don't hate now. 'One Less Bell to Answer' It's not my favorite song, but I was trying to get all of the music on one CD, and I don't have the ability to import songs on an MP3. I really did like it then, and I really don't hate it now.

11. A break-up song. See #11 This is the perfect breakup song. I know. I've used it.

12. The song that that would start the opening credits in the soundtrack to a movie about your life. See #4 Yep, I love it.

13. An awesome live track. 'Closer to Fine' One of the few bands I love to watch live and feel safe in the audience and know my car wouldn't get broken into while I was at the concert.

14. An a cappella song. 'The Longest Time' For a while I thought I could not use any Billy Joel on this mix, but I love this song and it's the only a cappella song in my library.

15. A good song from a genre of music that no one could guess that you liked. 'Touch of Gray' I saw them do this in concert the year it came out. It was a great concert, and I'm so glad I got to at least one Dead concert in my life.

16. A song you wish you could play, on the instrument of your choice. See #13 Guitar baby, all the way

17. A favorite artist duo collaboration. 'What a Wonderful World' It doesn't get any better than Tony and kd. I love the song, and I love them

18. A favorite song you completely disagree with (politically, morally, commonsenically, religiously etc.) 'Rain Down' Yeah well, the song moved me musically, I just have to ignore the meaning of the words.

19. A song you love that a friend introduced you to. 'More than a feeling' I've been to a couple of their concerts, and I'm not friends with that friend anymore. And my son things the band members are geeks, mostbly because of the hair.

20. A song you wouldn't play in front of your Mom (if your Mom will listen to anything, then go with a song you wouldn't play in front of my Mom -- if you know what's good for you). 'Spiderman is my Homie' Even though the lyrics were written and sung by her grandson (yes Stennie, it's Spanky) she'd HATE HATE HATE this music. PS. No bad words.

21. A song that you like but would play loud to annoy the neighbors. 'Tubthumping' Just cuz it's loud and funky. I actually like my neighbors, and I can't imagine ANY music would annoy them.

22. A favorite song that's in a foreign language. 'Yidl Mita Fidl' Check out the hot oboe player for "Millie and the Mentchn'

23. A favorite track from an outfit considered a "super-group." 'Sunshine of your Love' I had to search for this one. I don't have any supergroup CDs, this one was on a soundtrack CD. I do like this song, it reminds me of my brother's stoner days.

24. A song that makes you want to drink more beer. See #2 Not while driving in a convertible in LA

25. Your favorite song at this moment in time. 'Unwritten' I discovered Natasha accidentally on a Saturday morning on MTV, and bought her CD the next day. I find it helpful as I am suffering from writer's block.

This afternoon, in the car, Little Brother, aka Spanky, looked at Flipsycab's list and said he could make a MUCH BETTER CD, so I challeged him. He could only come up with five songs. Poser. This challenge was HARD but it made me listen and consider CD's I hadn't for a while. I'd like to do something like this again, maybe in a year or two...

1 comment:

Bet said...

Hey!

I'm trying to let people know I got and listened to their CDs. Thought I did you, so to speak, but I see I haven't.

On the whole I'm digging everyone's "5 year old" songs. Some inspired choices there.

As for you personally, I loved "Yidl Mita Fidl!" I'm such a fan of Jewish/Yiddish music, and love Klezmer stuff. About 2 years ago I went to a clarinetist's convention (what a geek I am!), and spent an afternoon in a symposium with a Klezmer clarinetist showing us all his licks and talking about Klezmer history. I was freakin' blown away!