Saturday, September 30, 2006

Happie Birthday Stennie

Just so you know,, I am only doing this as a birthday gift to Stennie, I should be cleaning my house because my mother is coming from Hell, USA, AKA Arizona, via Burbank…what a trip that must be! Here’s what you do….Go to Wikipedia, and in the search box, type the month and day of your birth (not the year, though). From the search results that come up, post five events, five births and five deaths from that day.

OK, so I suck at following rules….since I couldn’t narrow it down, and since I am blessed with sharing my birthday with many many election days, I take artistic license.

Sue me.

Events
• 1852 - Count Camillo Benso di Cavour became the prime minister of Piedmont-Sardinia, which soon expanded to become Italy. I don’t know why this is important to me, I guess because I used to live in Piedmont CA…
• 1861 - The University of Washington opens in Seattle, Washington as the Territorial University Go Huskies!!
• 1884 - U.S. presidential election, 1884: Democrat Grover Cleveland defeats Republican James G. Blaine in a very close contest to win the first of his two non-consecutive terms. Mentioned in “You Can’t Take it With you….as if Muzzie looks old enough in 1935 to have voted in 1884….
• 1918 - World War I: Austria-Hungary surrenders to Italy. Thus moving my great grandparents to America.
• 1921 - Japanese Prime Minister Hara Takashi assassinated in Tokyo. Is this why I love sushi?
• 1924 - Nellie Tayloe Ross of Wyoming elected as the first woman governor in the United States. You go girl!
• 1948 - T. S. Eliot wins the Nobel Prize in Literature. Probably for writing that silly cat poem.
• 1970 - Genie, a 13 year old feral child was found in Los Angeles, California having been locked in her bedroom for most of her life. Had a powerful effect on my view of the world an other people, I learned I really did not have bad parents.
• 1980 - U.S. presidential election, 1980: Republican challenger Ronald Reagan defeats incumbent Democrat Jimmy Carter by a wide margin. One of the worst birthday gifts I ever received, until 1995…
• 1995 - Israeli prime minister Yitzhak Rabin assassinated by an extreme right-wing Israeli.
[
Births
• 1879 - Will Rogers, American humorist (d. 1935) I like to think I have a little connection due to birth date.
• 1916 - Walter Cronkite, American news broadcaster ditto.
• 1918 - Art Carney, American actor (d. 2003) double ditto
• 1961 - Kathy Griffin, American comedienne. Love Her. I have 2nd row seats to see her in January…do you think I should tell her? Do you think I wouldn’t?
• 1969 - Sean Jean "Diddy" Combs, American rapper Oh yeah, that’s comforting..

Holidays
• Roman Catholic Saints - Feast day of the following Roman Catholic saints:
o Saint Charles Borromeo I wonder if this is why I feel the urge to volunteer
o St. Emeric He died in a hunting accident at a very young age, was canonized, and many miracles were reported at the site of his tomb. Why is that important..Amerigo Vespuci was named after him. There is the basis for Catholicism to rule the USA.

No comments: