Friday, November 10, 2006

Your Hawaiian Word of the Week #2

AND A LESSON OF THE DAY (UNLESS, YOU, UNLIKE MYSELF, ALREADY KNEW THIS....)

My plan, as this is week 2 of 52 weeks of Hawaiian words, was to pull a random letter, A-Z, and then choose from my Pocket Hawaiian Dictionary another random, yet appropriate word.
Well, today I learned that Hawaiian's don't start all of their words with each of the 26 letters of the alphabet I grew up with...
So to be fair, the letter of the week was R, and because I could not find any Hawaiian words that started with R (at least not in this limited little book of mine that I inherited when I moved my mother from my parent's home) I chose a English word that starts with R.

and so the word of the week is

kukaweke (Raincoat) because, well, I live in Washington and it's November...

BTW, All loan words from Enshish sometimes spelled with initial r- are (supposedly) entered unter l- in this dictionary. (Laincoat was not in the book...)

1 comment:

stennie said...

Hey, I got my invitation to your 50th B'day party! I'm gonna start saving and will try like hell to be there!