Tuesday, December 08, 2009

He Said "See Ya!"

As you might recall from an earlier episode, there was the ENT here in town who, when asked, continually said I should/could wait for the tell-all MRI. I have not seen him professionally since March or so earlier this year, although I did run into him at one of the many funerals I attended shortly after my diagnosis. (Remind me to tell you some other time about being a funeral whore)

So yesterday at my Monday with Mish and Marla lunch, just as our food is being served, who should walk in and sit down at the table right next to us IN MY LINE OF SIGHT??? Bingo. Dr. Death. Well, I shouldn't call him that since I am technically still alive. He said Hi, I said HI, and I had to take a moment to retrain myself to breathe again.

Thank the Universe Mish was there to talk me down and we had a very pleasant lunch, although I was somewhat distracted by the fact that I knew I HAD TO SAY SOMETHING. Right?

We were minutes from leaving, I told Mish I was ready, I was going to say something to him, but would wait until she left so I wouldn't embarrass her. Abruptly and without warning, he and his lunch companion stood up, tossed their trash and left the restaurant. I watched them leave, and then, as if an afterthought, Dr. Death poked his head back around the door and said "See Ya!" and left.

Nothing. Not one word, after 15 years of treating various members of my family, after all the hearing tests, after getting my MRI last summer. Nothing.

Mish and I looked at each other and burst out laughing. I could not believe it! And I had lost my opportunity. But dear sweet brilliant Mish asked me what I would have said. Here iit is...

I am sad and disappointed in you as a health care professional. You are not the person I thought you were. I have trusted the health of my family and my own to you for over 15 years. You operated on my son twice. When I came to you for help, I completely trusted you and your expertise. When I asked for diagnostic testing, you refused twice.

I had to go elsewhere to have the test that showed I have a potentially life-threatening condition. You received the MRI. I had them sent to you. And you never contacted me. And today, not a "how are you? How is the family?"

I would have expected nothing more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there. I've just been diagnosed with AN. I'm in Sydney Australia - here's my blog if you're interested.

Hope things go well for you.

Luke THINK POSITIVE