Sunday, January 21, 2018

Happier New Year

The first few weeks of 2018 were painful. Friends and family lost family and friends. I have attended twice as many funerals this year already than I did last year.

It is time to turn this year around.

I attended a meeting with the Hearing Loss Association just yesterday and the speaker, Melanie Cool (can I tell you how much I love her name?) talked about the importance of three concepts that will help you find your way to happy. Which I didn't write down, so, with my horrible memory, I had to search on line to find the 3. 1. Gratitude (duh) 2. Zest for life. (yes!) and #3 being "Hope."

She also talked about how to reframe “I can’t” into “I can.”

So I got lost in my thoughts about one thing I can’t do.

I can’t go to one more funeral this year. Ok, so I don't WANT to, if I HAVE to, I will. Because I know I can’t personally keep that from happening. I’m not in charge of that part of the universe. What I CAN do, is tell people who are still here how much they mean to me. Of course, if you are reading this, you ARE one of those who means much to me. Even if I don’t “know you” personally, you are taking time to read this now, so I at the very least, appreciate you giving me a minute.

It takes seven repeats of something to make it a habit. (or is it three? Or a month?) Whatever, for the next seven days, every day, I will be writing to friends and family, with whatever sentiment I want/need to tell them before it's "too late." I hope I get to your personal note before it's too late.

No comments: