Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Batula, Batwoman and Batmares

So when we last left our story, Batula had been caught, had tested positive for rabies, and Daughter was on her way to the infusion center of this hospital for her first of many many injections.

When the woman from the Health Department called me at work to tell me that the bat was positive, I admit I started to break down and become a little hysterical. The woman said, "you know, I really need you to focus here..."

Yeah, she's lucky she was on the phone when she said that. I'd been "focused" since 1:30 am that Saturday, and this was the first time I had started shaking, well, first time since I actually trapped Batula in the Tupperware.... Nevertheless, I sucked it up and moved on.

By 6pm, Daughter and I were on our way to the hospital for her first "shot," both ready for whatever was next. Well, I was not ready, I had no idea what to expect, but some of it included potential screaming, crying and trying to escape large pointy needles. And who knew what Daughter would do?

I have to say, when in the face of potentially hysterical moms and their wunderkind, the nurses in town do very well. Daughter and I waited for the shot(s) to be prepared, alone in the infusion department, happily in the presence of cable TV, watching the episode of Friends where we find out that Ross is the father of Rachel's baby. (I hope I didn't ruin that for you!!)

Gammaglobulin is a huge fucking big shot of goo, which they split into three semi huge fucking shots and stuck in her thighs. Then the vaccine went into her arm. She was quite the trooper, and came home and IM'd three conversations with friends about it at the same time.

That night, the night I got the horrible phone call, the night I watched the needles save my daughter's life, I had dreams of Batula coming at me from the window, fangs bared.



By the next day, Daughter couldn't raise her left arm, which is sorta ok cuz she's right handed, but sorta bad because she couldn't play the piano and she had a lesson, after all!

Now we have relaxed into a calm, a Zen if you will, of the shot series. She goes again today, and then the 21st. I just wonder if she gets bitten by another rabid animal between now and then, if she's covered? Oy.

1 comment:

Krizzer said...

Absolutely scarring!!!!!