Friday, January 26, 2018

For Lisette

This is for you.

It is sorta weird, since your loss is one of the things that prompted this exercise in the first place.

But today, I want to focus on you, who you are to me, and why I love and appreciate you so much (beyond the 50 reasons you already should know…..)

You are not my youngest cousin, but you are the first cousin I ever held in my arms as a baby. You were mine, more than my sisters were mine. For the first few years of your life, I saw you A LOT because, well, because that’s how it was done way back then. I never had to change your diaper ( ;-) ) so the magic and mystery remains.

You are still very magic to me. Your ability to connect with people is inspiring. Your ability to focus your strength is equally balanced by your ability to express your raw emotions. I always admire that in you.

The physical distance between us and your busy life with the boys has kept me from imposing on your home on a regular basis, but looking back, I realize I have spent as much time, if not more time, in your presence in the past five years as I have with any other member of my immediate family. I appreciate that you opened your home and your heart to me in such a difficult time.

I will always be here for you. I am a text, a phone call, a plane, bus or car ride away.

I love you always sweet cousin.

No comments: